Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On the Naming of Things

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure if I should be referencing creatures/beings that are copyrighted by others. Maybe I'm paranoid or overthinking it too much. I don't plan to market what I post here for any monetary gain. I just want to share ideas and hopefully inspire others as I have been from blogs that I read. Anyway, I'm using a handy Lovecraftian Name Generator to name creatures and places within the lands of Xhuul, to give it a more unique feel than borrowing from already published sources.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say you're on safe ground so long as it's solely a fan project. You may be outside the letter of the law if someone were to put it to the test. But as long as you're not diluting the value of anyone else's IP or straight out posting whole swaths of non-public domain literature, I think you're OK both in terms of no one relevant hassling you, and as a matter of principle.

    This concern was one of my driving motivations behind my Thool setting, which used only public domain resources. But honestly, I think throwing in the odd Shoggoth or Flying Polyp is perfectly cricket.

    (I'm a lawyer, but I know very little about IP, so here's the standard disclaimer that the above is the kibitzing of an ignoramus, does not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is thereby created etc.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey the Lovecraftian Name Generator is über-cool! Thank you for sharing this :D

    ReplyDelete