Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reset Button

I've decided to hit the "Reset Button" on the Xhuul setting and map. I'm ditching the large map I made, and go with something smaller and a little more sandboxy. I was feeling compelled to detail alot of things on the large map even though most likely alot of it would never be used. So, instead of wasting time and energy on that, I'm working on a small map of 15 x 15 hexes in Hexographer. I feel this will be easier to manage.

As for the setting itself, I'm going to be dialing down the "weird and science" elements and upping the "fantasy" elements more. Yes, there will still be mutants, but I also wanted to use some races such as bullywugs and gnolls; and more terrestrial creatures like giant frogs and dire wolves. I'm also throwing in some dinosaurs too. I will use the monsters featured in the Xhuul Bestiary posts on this blog. Lovecraftian themes and general Yog-Sothery will still be used.

I've been editing down the list of mutation powers to keep things on an even keel. I've removed over-the-top powers such as Planar Travel, Temporal Fugue and Time Manipulation. I want mutants, just not the X-Men.

1 comment:

  1. Make the small map a portion of the larger map, then you can always expand outward if need be.

    ReplyDelete