Monday, July 25, 2011

Captain America

I saw Captain America: The First Avenger this weekend. I really enjoyed the movie. As most people who have watched the other movies such as Iron Man and Thor, you need to stay through the end of the movie credits for a teaser scene. This one shows clips from next year's Avengers movie in May 2012. Looking forward to it.

As a former comic-book reader, I was never a reader of the Captain America comics. I was more into team-oriented comics, such as Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-Men. I stopped reading comics in the mid 1990's, as I grew fed up with how different writers would ressurect a dead hero or villian for the Nth time (Magneto anyone?), just for the sake of a story and screwing up the continuity of the Marvel Universe. I know, it's a comic book, but jeez man, don't undo something another writer did, it really undermines their story.

Nowadays, when I have ventured into a comic-book store or a gaming store with a comic section, I really am just baffled as to what is currently going on (Cyclops and Emma Frost are knocking boots? What happened to Jean Grey?).

I hope that the Avengers movie has Captain America leading the group. I recall that in the 1970's, Iron Man was the leader of the Avengers (because Stark Industries funded the team with it's equipment and mansion I presume.) But I can't see that happening in the new movie, Tony Stark is too much of a loose cannon. I remember that Iron Man did give up his leadership position in the Avengers when he went through his drinking problem, and Cap became leader. Of course, he's really got to get up to speed on modern day technology and society, which I'm sure will be touched on in the movie in some manner.

2 comments:

  1. I saw it too and had a great time also. I think they'll end up using Nick Fury as the de facto "leader" as he's portrayed in the Ultimate Avenger books with Cap and Iron Man clashing over who leads missions. I'm on the fence about those BTW. While I like the updated look (and don't at all mind Fury's Shield as a stakeholder) I really didn't like the direction they took certain characters. It's funny how everyone has their favorites that they don't want to see messed with too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Marvel Movieverse, I'm thinking that the best leader the Avengers have is Black Widow.

    Just me, though.

    ReplyDelete