Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fleas!

My dog has fleas. While I was on staycation last week, I had given my dog his monthly dose of Frontline Plus. I admit that I had lapsed giving him this dose for several months, and that has come to kick him and me in the nards for that laxness. Apparently this year is a bad flea season, and despite me applying that dose of Frontline, it did absolutely no good. My dog has been scratching like crazy and this seemed more that just his usual scratching when he goes through his fur shedding. So I examined his fur and found a flea. Now mind you, this is several days after applying his medicine. So I gave him a bath with some anti-flea shampoo.

This past week has seen the usual scratchings and yep, found more fleas. I managed to pluck a few off him and drown them in water. His belly was red from scratching and I gave him some Benadryl to alleviate the allergy he was having from the flea bites. My sister recommended an oral pill called Comfortis as this really helped to kill the fleas on her dog. Since my dog had his annual health exam coming up, I decided to get some from the Vet. The veterinarian told me mostly likely, with the level of infestation she was seeing that the environment (i.e. my house) had fleas in it. After I got home from the vet, I went right out and got some powder that you apply on the carpets and brush in with a broom so that it penetrates deep into the fibers. Wait a few hours and vaccuum.

Well, he seems to be doing better now. He still scratches from time to time, but I will have to monitor that, otherwise it will be another trip to the Vet for a cortozone shot.

If reading this didn't make you feel itchy or want to scratch, I commend you, as writing this post made me do it several times.

GIANT FLEA

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 5-20
SIZE: Small
HD: 2 (D8)
MOVE: 60 ft., 180' ft (leap)
AC: 20
ATTACKS: 1 Bite (1d8)
SPECIAL: Blood Drain, Immune to Blunt Weapons,
Vulnerability to Water and Drowning, Agile
SAVES: P
INT: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
TYPE: Vermin
TREASURE: None
XP: 25 + 2/hp

Giant Fleas are the size of small dogs. They are fast on land and can leap far distances. If they are dowsed with large quantities of water, their speed is reduced to 10' and they cannot leap. If they are submerged in a large volume of water, they will drown instantly and die.

Giant Fleas has a tough outer chitin which is hard to damage, hence they are immune to blunt-force weapons and crushing attacks.

When a Giant Flea attacks, it will be with a tube-like mouth part that penetrates the target's flesh doing 1d8 damage. After this initial attack, the giant flea will drain blood of 1d6 hp per round. Once it has consumed enough blood equal to it's own hit points, it will release and leap away.

Giant fleas are very agile and get a +3 to any saves for DEX and are +10 against any grab attacks.

3 comments:

  1. We are going through this right now, but we've got it under control. We gave the dog a bath with dawn dishsoap and worked great. Waited til she dried then applied Avantix (vet gave it to us). But we also had to decontaminate the house. We used this stuff that made our house smell like a vet's office for a short while, but it seems to be working. Our pup's itching has been reduced a ton in just a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuff I used said "Potpourri Scent" on the cannister. Not so much. Still smelled like an insecticide to me. The flea bath I gave my dog gave me some glee seeing those little buggers drop off him. The vet told me the flea bath is only good for one day. But now that I gave him the combo Heartworm/Flea medicine, he seems to be doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We let them go through the winter but start up again once the rains have stopped. Been lucky so far... Good luck, I'd hate to have them in the house!

    ReplyDelete