Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pathfinder Game Prep

I want to thank the commentors on my last post for their suggestions on what rules changes would be necessary to make Pathfinder more Old School.  The game will have 3 players to start, so I have to be mindful of encounter creation which assumes the standard of 4-5 players.

The House Rules draft I have come up with is as follows:

1) Attacks of Opportunity will remain.  With 3 players I don't see it slowing the game down.  A map grid will be used for combat.

2)  Slow XP Advancement table will be used.

3) Ability scores are determined by 3d6 rolled and assigned to how the players want.  I'm already getting flak on this from the players.  Damn you Point-Buy method!!!

4) PC's will start at 2nd Level, with max HP for Level 1 and they will roll for their Level 2 hit die.  This will help compensate for the missing 4th player.

5)  Level cap is 10th level. I doubt that this will mean much, since I haven't ever had a campaign that lasted long enough to reach such a lofty level.  This is mostly due to scheduling conflicts of the players and hence the game loses momentum.

6)  Critical Hits.  No confirmation roll is required.

7)  Standard races and classes from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook only.

8)  No Prestige classes.

9) Skills will be used, but player actions will trump a skill roll (this mostly applies to the role-playing skills such as Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate).

The players are coming over on Saturday to make their characters, so lets see how everything goes.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't played a new school game(yet), but I've read the books and one of the things that always irked me was number 6, confirm the crit. I haven't seen many people do away with that one, but I agree with you, it would be on my chopping block.

    ReplyDelete