Tuesday, June 4, 2013

3-D Dungeon terrain

I took a short trip down to San Diego over the Memorial Day week-end to visit a friend of mine.  He introduced me to a friend of his who has made amazing 3-D terrain for their D&D games.  It was very inspirational.

I found a video on Youtube to make your own 3-D terrain tiles using styrofoam and so I am making this piece below.






















I have it already painted in black and will be doing the dry-brushing soon.  I just want to make sure I got all the little spots still showing the white of the styrofoam covered with the black paint before moving on to the dry-brushing step.

4 comments:

  1. How do you paint it? Spray paint will melt it won't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I painted it with Interior Satin Acrylic black paint. I haven't finished the dry-brushing with light grey paint.

      Delete
  2. I found this searching for models as I craft dungeon terrain as well. I know this an old post but I will tell you that spray paint priming it will indeed melt the model but if you use the right pressure and amount, it actually looks cool, like pitted, aged and weathered stone. It will seal the model eventually and make it ready for acrylic paints.I have a few pics of some of my terrain up at my blog if anyone would like to see what it looks like. Just don't breathe the fumes while doing it and let it dry a bit before each app. Very nice terrain and I like the blog.

    ReplyDelete